Name: Jonathan Penright
Current city: Houston
Course of study: AAS Degree in Culinary Arts
Personal motivational motto: Food is Love
- Jonathan, tell us about your story!
I was in Logistical Management and Inventory Management. I chose CIL because it felt right in my heart to do so and I wanted to go to France to learn culinary from its foundation. I’m currently the Executive Chef at Davis St at Hermann Park (Houston).
- What inspired you to become a chef?
It’s one of my primary purposes for being here on the planet.
- How would you describe the impact of your courses at CIL on your daily life?
It provided me with the tools to elevate my culinary career.
- Any memorable moments as a student?
My trip to France really changed the way I view life.
- Do you have any projects in mind or in action?
To show the black community, particularly the black males, that there are multiple paths out of oppression.
- Would you like to share an anecdote or a recipe with us?
A good recipe for me: cook with your heart and know the basics.
- Outside of CIL, what do you like to do on your personal time?
I enjoy learning about world history and nature.
- Any words of wisdom to students?
Know why you decided to spend thousands of dollars and know how you plan on making it back!