First Name/Last Erick O . Montes
Hometown Santa Cruz Bolivia
Current City Houston, Texas
Course of Study Diploma in Culinary Arts
Graduating Month/Year October 9th, 2015
Personal Motivational Motto My family
- What is your story? Any defining moments? Why did you choose CIL?
After my first semester, I enrolled in culinary arts at the Gato Dumas – Colegio de Gastronomía in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I wanted to see if it truly was what I wanted to do. I was looking for schools in Texas. After 6 month, I came back to Houston. CIL caught my attention because of the way students interacted with their Chefs and worked together in the kitchen. I also had good recommendations by people who studied at this school.
- Based on your course of study, what has been your inspiration to follow this path?
My motivation is my family
- Describe your class room experience
What I enjoy the most about CIL is all the different French techniques that we learn in class, because they can be applied to various dishes.
- What is the most important thing you’ve learned so far at CIL?
One of the most important things I’ve learned was in level 2 with Chef Cedric Gavoille. I learned how to be organized in the kitchen and how to be precise in my work.
- How is it like to be an international student at the school, in Houston?
Moving to a place far from home was very hard but the school environment makes you feel at home.
- What would you say to the students interested in studying at CIL?
This is a great school! You’ll see people from different cultures and Chefs working in the culinary field for years. You’ll be interacting with your Chefs in the kitchen and you’ll learn all the techniques needed in this business.
- Where are you currently in your career path? Working in the field you want? If so,what’s your position? Are you currently working on any projects or have any in mind?
I am currently working at the Sweet Paris Crêperie, a local restaurant. I started as line cook and right now I am in training to become Assistant Manager.
- Outside of CIL, what do you like to do on your personal time (hobbies)?
I like to go the gym; I’ve always been in love with bikes. I also try to travel to different places and learn more about the world.
Anything you would like to add?
Five years from now, I would like to open my own restaurant in Santa Cruz, Bolivia.