Scholarships Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

All You Need To Know About
Scholarships And Financial Aid

Click on the question below to find out more information

1Who can I contact if I have questions?

Please contact us right away if you have any questions!

Financial Aid Office (713) 358-5052 [email protected]

Admissions Office (713) 358-5064 [email protected]

We look forward to hearing from you!

2How long will it take to complete the financial aid process?

Good news! With the help of a financial aid advisor this process can be completed within one week.

3Does the Federal Financial Aid Program apply to all courses?

The Pell Grant and the federal student loans apply to all programs.

4When should I start applying for financial aid?

As soon as possible. Traditionally, we recommend for our students to have their financial aid package completed one month before the program begins.

5How do alternative loan programs work?

Alternative loan programs are designed to aid our students with financing options that will adequately meet their needs for help with education costs. This loan allows you to borrow up to your cost of attendance, which means tuition, books, fees, transportation and housing costs may be included within your loan.

Requirements (for all applicants)

  1. Approval is based on applicant’s credit history. (Applicants may need to provide a co-borrower.)
  2. Applicant must be permanent resident or US citizen (or have a co-borrower who is).
  3. Applicant must have two years working in the same field (if employed).
  4. Applicant must earn an $18,000 yearly income (minimum).
6What is a Parent PLUS loan?

The Federal PLUS Loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) is an affordable, low-interest loan designed for parents. With the PLUS Loan, you can borrow up to your child’s total cost of education minus other financial aid awarded to the student. This total cost can include tuition, books, food, housing, transportation and more.


  • Cover 100% of education costs
  • No income or asset requirements
  • Pre-approval in minutes
  • Low interest rate of 5.30%
  • Flexible repayment options
  • Variable rate – rate changes annually but will never exceed 9% The PLUS loan applies to dependent students only.
Apply or call Parent Answer Services at 1-800-891-1410. You may also call the CULINARY INSTITUTE LENOTRE’s® Financial Aid Department at 713-358-5052 for more information.
7What is the benefit of applying for a federal student loan?

Federal student loans help cover the cost of tuition.

Federal Subsidized Loans are federally guaranteed loans based on financial need. Interest does not accrue on the loan while you are in school at least part time or during any future deferment periods. The federal government “subsidizes” (or pays) the interest during these times. Additionally, there are maximum amounts you can receive per school year.

Federal Unsubsidized Loans are federally guaranteed loans that are not based on financial need. Interest does accrue from the time the loan is disbursed to the school. Additionally, there are maximum amounts you can receive per school year for dependent and independent students.

8Why do I need my parents’ tax information on the FASFA?

If you are a dependent, you do not have sufficient tax information of your own. Dependency status is determined by answering step three on the FAFSA application.

9How can I apply for a scholarship?

There are many scholarships available to students seeking a career in the culinary and pastry fields. The requirements to apply for scholarships vary. However, our scholarship list has all the information needed to apply for each one. View our scholarships. You may also find a general scholarship application.

10Who is considered to be an independent student?

For financial aid purposes the federal government has put together the following questions to determine whether a student is independent or dependent. If you are able to answer “yes” to one or more of these questions, you are considered independent; if not, you are considered dependent.

  1. Were you born before January 1, 1998?
  2. At the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program?
  3. As of today, are you married? (Answer “yes” if you are separated but not divorced.)
  4. Are you currently serving on active duty in the US Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  5. Are you a veteran of the US Armed Forces? If you answered “no” to all of the questions above, you are considered to be a dependent student and will need to provide your parents’ tax information.
11How do I apply for a Pell Grant?

A Pell Grant is money provided to you by the federal government, which is applied to your tuition. Anyone applying for a Pell Grant must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. You can request the FASFA application from the Financial Aid Office or apply online at CULINARY INSTITUTE LENOTRE®'s school code is 037233.

To complete this form, each applicant must be able to provide the following documentation:

  1. Proof of Citizenship (birth certificate, US passport, or alien registration card)
  2. Social Security Number
  3. W-2 Forms and Other Records of Income Earned
  4. Tax Return (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, or 1722)
  5. Your Parents’ Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
  6. Untaxed Income Records (veterans benefits records, child support received, worker’s compensation)
  7. Current Bank Statements
  8. Current Business and Investment Mortgage Information, Business and Farm Records, Stock, Bond and Other Investment Records
  9. Driver’s License (if any)
  10. Verification Worksheet (Provided by the FCI)


Admissions advisor